George A. Moore, CBE, KStJ was born in 1928 at the Mitre public house in the market town of Knaresborough, where his father was the landlord. On leaving the local secondary modern school he put his carpentry skills to good use and formed his first company, a joinery and coach building business located in Cottingley near Bingley.
From these small beginnings he expanded the company into manufacturing high quality kitchen furniture and prepared joinery for local authority housing. He built up his highly successful business, Moore’s Furniture Group, which employed hundreds of people at his factories at Thorp Arch Trading Estate, near Wetherby, Yorkshire.
In 1970 Mr Moore formed the Foundation, initially as a Welfare Fund to help those members of staff who were in need. The Welfare Fund was greatly enhanced in 1987 when Mr. Moore sold his business and, over the years, The George A. Moore Foundation has become a well respected grant making foundation.
In recognition of a remarkable business career Mr Moore was awarded a CBE at Buckingham Palace in 1988. His generosity and special interest in charitable causes has been marked over the years and he was awarded Knight of St John status by the justice of the order in 1995.
Mr Moore sadly passed away at his home in the Isle of Man on Friday 16th September 2016, aged 88.
The Foundation continues to support charities working within the UK and now concentrates principally on those charities working in the Yorkshire area. Typical grants made by the Foundation range from £500 to £2,500, although larger grants may be considered for selected projects
Mr J. Richard Moore
Mr Paul D. Turner
Mrs Angela L. James